BIBLES (All Versions)
- *Apostolic Study Bible. Word Aflame Press
- *Premier Study Bible. Apostolic Publishers International
- ESV Study Bible. Crossway Bibles
- Biblical Theology Study Bible. Zondervan (Previous Version: NIV Study Bible).
- *Foster’s Ministry Manual. Bro. Fred Foster
- New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge. Jerome H. Smith. Note: This is the most complete listing of cross references available anywhere – every verse, every them, every important world. An invaluable resource.
- Collins Thesaurus of the Bible. Colin A. Day
- The New Nave’s Topical Bible.
- Topical Analysis of the Bible. Walter Elwell
GREEK / HEBREW
- Strong’s Concordance/Dictionary
- A Greek-English Lexicon of the NT and other Early Christian Literature, 3rd Ed.. University of Chicago Press. Note: It is commonly known by it’s authors initials BDAG; Bauer, Danker, Arndt, and Gingrich.
- Mounce’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old & New Testament Words. Zondervan
- Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words. Thomas Nelson
- Wuest’s Word Studies in the Greek NT. Eerdmans
BIBLE HANDBOOKS / DICTIONARIES
- The IVP Bible Dictionary Series. InterVarsity Press. Note: Currently there are 8 Volumes; Old & New Testament.
- Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible. Baker
- Eerdman’s Dictionary of the Bible. Eerdmans
- Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary. Holman Bible Publishers
- Holman Bible Handbook. Holman Bible Handbook
- Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary. Yale. Note: 6 Volumes; expensive $400…conservative and liberal articles.
- Halley’s Bible Handbook. Henry H. Halley
- How to Read the Bible for all it’s Worth. Gordon Fee
- ESV Bible Atlas. John Currid & David Barrett
ENGLISH DICTIONARY / THESARUS / GRAMMAR BOOK
- On Writing Well. William Zinnser
- The Elements of Style, 4th Ed.. William Strunk Jr. / E.B. White
- Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Ed. University of Chicago Press
NEW TESTAMENT INTRODUCTION
- An Introduction to the New Testament. D.A. Carson, Douglas Moo
- The New Testament in it’s World: An Introduction to the History, Literature, and Theology of the First Christians. N.T. Wright, Michael Bird.
- An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods, and Ministry Formation. David DeSilva.
- A Biblical Theological Introduction to the New Testament: The Gospel Promised. Michael J. Kruger., Ed.
- The Story RETOLD. G.K. Beale & Benjamin Gladd.
OLD TESTAMENT INTRODUCTION
- An Introduction to the Old Testament. Tremper Longman, Raymond Dillard.
- A Biblical Theological Introduction to the Old Testament: The Gospel Promised. Miles V. Van Pelt, Ed..
- Pentecostal Theology. David K. Bernard. Note: 4 Volumes
- History of Christian Doctrine. David K. Bernard. Note: 3 Volumes
- *The Glory of God in the Face of Jesus Christ. David K. Bernard
- *I AM. David Norris
- *Apostolic Pentecostal Theology. Nathaniel J. Wilson
- Doctrines of the Bible. David Bernard & J.L. Hall
- A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New, G.K. Beale.
- A Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. Wayne Grudem
- Biblical Theology: The Convergence of Canon. Ben Witherington.
- Christian Origins and the Question of God. N.T. Wright. Note: 4 Volumes
- Biblical Doctrine: A Systematic Summary of Bible Truth. John Macarthur & Richard Mayhue.
- NT Commentary Survey 7th Ed.. D.A. Carson
- OT Commentary Survey 5th Ed.. Tremper Longman
- A Guide to Biblical Commentaries and Reference Works 10th Ed.. John F. Evans.
- Best Bible Books: NT Resources. John Glynn
The following are excellent commentary sets. Note, sets look pretty on one’s shelf, but not all volumes in a set are equally good. Save money, consult the above guides. Carson provides a list at the end of his guide of the best commentary per NT book.
- *Apostolic Bible Commentary. Word Aflame
- Acts, 4 Volumes. Craig Keener
- Commentary on the New Testament use of the Old Testament. D.A. Carson & G.K. Beale.
- New International Commentary on the Old and New Testament. Eerdmans.
- Baker Exegetical Commentary. Baker.
- Zondervan Exegetical Commentary. Zondervan.
- Pillar NT Commentary. Eerdmans.
- New American Commentary. Broadman & Holman.
- New International Greek NT Commentary. Eerdmans.
- Evangelical Exegetical Commentary. Lexham
- Tyndale New and Old Testament Comentary. InterVarsity Press
- Bible Background Commentary. Craig Keener
- The NT in Antiquity, 2nd Ed.. Gary M. Burgee & G.L. Green.
- Commentary on the Psalms, 3 Volumes. Robert Alter.
- The Hberew Bible, 3 Volumes. Robert Alter.
- Expositors Bible Commentary. Kenneth L. Barker & John R. Kohlenberger III.
- BE Commentary. Warren W. Wiersbe.
The following are not technically commentaries but expository sermons.
- Preach the Word. Crossway.
- Reformed Expository Commentary. P&R Publishing.
- Studies in the Sermon on the Mount. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.
- Romans, 14 Volumes. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.
- Ephesians, 8 Volumes. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.
- 2 Peter. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.
I recommend everything by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
SERMON / HOMILETICS & HERMUENETICS
- *God’s Infallible Word. David K. Bernard.
- *Understanding God’s Word. David K. Bernard.
- *We Preach. Jerry Jones.
- *Life Preaching. Johnathan McClintock.
- Preaching and Preachers. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.
- Preaching God’s Word. Terry G. Carter, J. Scott Duvall, J. Daniel Hays.
- Grasping God’s Word. J. Scott Duvall, J. Daniel Hays.
- Reading and Understanding the Bible. Ben Witherington.
- How to Understand and Apply the New Testament: Twelve Steps from Exegesis to Theology. Andy Naselli.
- Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today. John Stott.
- Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages. Haddon W. Robinson.
- MacArthur Pastor’s Library on Preaching. John MacArthur and the Masters Seminary Faculty.
- Preaching. Timothy Keller.
- *How to Teach Holiness, 2 Volumes. David Huston.
- *Jesus Bought a House. David Huston.
- The Holiness of God, R.C. Sproul.
- The Pursuit of Holiness. Jerry Bridges.
- *Spiritual Leadership in the 21st Century. David K. Bernard.
- MacArthur Pastor’s Library on Pastoral Ministry. John MacArthur and the Master’s Seminary Faculty. Note: Formerly Titled – Rediscovering Expository Preaching.
- The Making of a Leader. Frank Damazo.
- A Tale of Three Kings. Gene Edwards.
- Basic Christian Leadershp: Biblical Models of Church, Gospel and Ministry. John Stott.
- The Preacher’s Portrait: Five New Testament Word Studies. John Stott.
There are many good specialized books; its a complicated world!
- *Apostolic Counseling. Lynda Doty
- MacArthur Pastor’s Library on Counseling. John MacArthur and the Master’s Seminary.
- A Biblical Guide to Counseling the Sexual Addict. Steven Gallagher.
- *Growing a A Church. David K. Bernard.
- *The Apostolic Church in the 21st Century. David K. Bernard.
ANY APOSTOLIC AUTOBIOGRAPHY
Recommend www.banneroftruth.org. All will benefit.
- Jonathan Edwards
- John Owens
- Thomas Watson
- Christian in Complete Armor. William Gurnall
- The Evil of Evils. Jeremiah Burroughs.
- Holiness. J.C. Ryle
- Pilgrims Progress. John Bunyan.
ANYTHING BY THESE AUTHORS
Support Apostolic Authors first and foremost!
- F.F. Bruce
- I.H. Marshall
- Leon Morris
- Gordon Fee
- C.H. Spurgeon
- D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.
BOOKS TO READ…and good for the library
Besides the above mentioned. No particular order.
- *Jeff Arnold
- *Robert E. Henson
- *Sons of Oil. David Huston.
- *Made for More/ I Choose to Win/ The Dancing Father. Brian Kinsey.
- *World Changers/Marvelous Mercy. Robert Henson. Get all his books.
- Praying with Paul. D.A. Carson.
- Salve of Christ. Murray J. Harris. Part of the NSBT theological series by Intervarsity Press
- The Pursuit of God. A.W. Tozer.
- Desiring God/ Don’t Waster your Time. John Piper.
- Seasons of Revival/ Seasons of Intercession. Frank Damazio.
- Ordering Your Private World. Gordon MacDonald.
- The Bait of Satan/ Under Cover. John Bevere.
- Moments with the Savior. Ken Gire.
- The Divine Conspiracy/The Spirit of the Disciplines. Dallas Willard.
- Hand me Another Brick. Charles Swindoll.
- Johnathan Edwards/D. Maryn Lloyd-Jones/Iain Murray. Iain Murray is the best biographer! Get all his books!
- Gospel According to Jesus. John MacArthur.
- Destroyer of the God’s / Why On Earth Did Anyone Become a Christian in the First Three Centuries. Larry Hurtado.
- The Church of Christ. Everett Ferguson.
- The Cross. John Stott.
- My Upmost for His Highest. Oswald Chambers.
- Reading Romans Backwards. Scot McKnight.
- Baptism in the Holy Spirit. James Dunn.
- Intoxicated with Babylon: The Seduction of God’s People in the Last Days / i: The Root of Sin. Steve Gallagher.
- On the Anvil. Max Lucado.
I could go on – and I hate knowing I’ve forgotten a title/author, but this should suffice.
Pastor Antonio Manshino, AKA “The Book Mentor” serves as an associate editor, and resident book expert for the Apostolic Review. He is also known as the builder of minister’s libraries.